Sunday, May 3, 2009

Reflection #28

(1) Describe the Resource / Experience:
During my resource search this week, I also discovered an instructional software evaluation form and a web page evaluation form. The instructional software evaluation form is published by Bellingham Public Schools and the web page evaluation form is published by the University of California, Berkley. Both forms contain a series of questions that help you evaluate the usefulness and effectiveness of software programs and web pages that may be used in today’s classrooms.
(2) Lessons Learned / Applications for the Classroom / Recommendations for Yourself or Others:
I thought that both of these forms were very valuable resources because instructional software and web pages are often used in technologically-enhanced, constructivist classrooms, and these resources can help teachers decide whether or not a certain software program or webpage is worth buying and using. Overall, from these resources, I learned that teachers can’t just pick software and web pages “out of thin air”. I learned that the resources need to be evaluated first in order to ensure that they are worth the teacher and students’ time, effort, and hard-earned money. Before finding these resources I never really thought about how much valuable classroom time and money can be wasted on using ineffective resources. However, after discovering these resources, I’ve learned how this problem could be circumvented.
(3) Links to Readings, Resources, or Discussions:
These ideas directly relate to the following resources in my Resource Log:

Bellingham Public Schools. (n.d.). Instructional software evaluation form. Bellingham Public Schools. Retrieved from http://www.bham.wednet.edu/technology/documents/software_eval_form_000.pdf

Barker, J. (2002). Web page evaluation checklist. University of California, Berkley. Retrieved from http://www.lib.berkeley.edu/TeachingLib/Guides/Internet/EvalForm.pdf

2 comments:

  1. Great resource! Thanks...I'm definitely going to use this tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...it could be my browser, but the 2nd link doesn't work. I'd really like to see that resource.

    ReplyDelete